Smoking Cessation Clinic
The program comprises one to one intensive support combined with drug treatments, which has the highest success rates for people quitting smoking.
Our pharmacists are specially trained to support you through the quitting process. You can attend smoking cessation clinics for one-to-one sessions that are tailored to meet your needs. They usually take place for 1-4 weeks before your quit date and continue for up to one year after you quit.
In these sessions your pharmacist will:
1. Look at your desire and readiness to quit
2. Take a history of your smoking habit, health risks, triggers
3. Assess your nicotine addiction (using the Fagerstrom Test)
4. Identify your reasons for quitting and any difficulties or risks of relapse
5. Create a personal plan for your quitting
6. Recommend suitable medical treatment, if required
7. Enrol you on www.quit.ie which provides extra support in the fornm of emails / texts of support / advice throughout the quitting process.
Quitters using Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) can increase the chances of quitting by 50-70% compared to those trying to stop using willpower alone. They are not a magic cure, but they will help to reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
There are a wide range of NRT products available, including:
- Nicotine patches
- Nicotine gum
- Nicotine lozenges
- Nicotine inhalators
- Nicotine oral spray
During your consultation, your pharmacist will advise on which product is most suitable for you based on your smoking habits.
This program is free of charge, but NRT products are to be paid for.